It's All Greek to Me (Athens)

My four days in Athens and areas around Greece allowed me to see how diverse Greece is. I visited Athens, Piraeus, the Sardonic Islands, and Corinth. I went from a huge modern city, to small slow islands, to a suburban costal town in southern Greece. 

Coming to Greece from Islamic countries made me excited to see churches and experience the orthodox side of life. In Crete, I darted towards the first few churches I saw. By now my friends are used to me dashing away unexpectedly towards anything religious that catches my eye, # OZRSS problems (over zealous religious studies student). The acronym is so large it has its own problems.

Anyways, the churches had images with gold, brilliant colors, and dizzying patterns. I thought all these churches were so ornate and beautiful, I expected all the churches to be like that. I was right… and wrong. I was with a few friends on the way back to the ship in Piraeus. We passed a large local church. One of my friends was a Christian too, and even though we were late for dinner on the ship we decided to take "just a quick look". We left our other friend outside watching our grocery bags since he wasn't interested. When we stepped into the church I quickly accepted that "just a quick look" was a total lie. Oh the irony of coming to this realization in a church.

The church was massive. There was so much going on with gold, images, Jesus, patterns, more Jesus, and colorful windows. I had no idea where to look. (btw this church is the last few pictures on the blog). My friend and I tried to hurry but every time I turned to another image I was distracted like a kid in a theological candy store. Too many pictures later we rushed out of the church and I said to our friend outside what any low budget college student who can't miss a free meal says, "you have to go see it". Oh yeah, I am not a normal student I am an OZRSS. We ended up making it for dinner… barely. 


athens
changing of the guard in athens changing of the guard in athensparthenonparthenongreek yogurt agora
athensathensisland of hydra island of hydra hydra 
hydra island of aeginaisland of aegina 
church of agios nectarios, aeginachurch of agios nectarios, aeginachurch of adios nectarios, aeginacorinth corinthisland of aeginafriends on the train back from corinthcathedral in piraeuscathedral in piraeuspiraeus 


0 comments:

Post a Comment