Mind the Gap (London pt.1)













 This is where Diagon alley was filmed for Harry Potter.











     
     My start to London was a bit foggy to say the least. After getting up at 5 am on Monday and arriving in London at 7:30  am on Tuesday with around 4 hours of sleep somewhere in between, I was not ready to take on London. At any rate, we did, and I was almost hit by many cars in the process. The simple directional road change was not compatible with my current state of mind, and the only way I could cross the street was by checking the huge white paint on the cross walks that read “LOOK LEFT” or “LOOK RIGHT” before I groggily checked to make sure I wasn’t going to get taken out by a giant double decker. These arrows may seem childish and stupid, but when you are so tired the British accents begin to sound foreign and you have to keep asking people to repeat themselves, the arrows are a live saver, literally.

     Day two was much better. After getting an actual nights sleep, my mother and I took on London as typical American tourists. The camera around my neck, bad directional skills, and lack of a London fashion sense labeled me an awful American tourist, but who cares, I got lots of pictures and had a blast. My general take on London is that it is like most major cities, except it has better architecture, is classier, and has more attractive men (that may just be the accents though). At any rate, I think the most impressive thing I have seen so far has been the hundreds of people that bike through London. I thought Charlottesville traffic was sketchy, but these people weave through two-foot gaps between moving giant red double deckers like it’s their job. If I tried to get across London on a bike I think I would be taken out at the first right turn. Aside from being awesome at biking the people in London are really kind as well. SO many people helped my mother and I with our luggage (maybe we just looked that pathetic), and they are always so willing to help with directions and things. There are also a TON of foreign people. In two days I think I have heard at least 15 different languages and I think I hear a different language almost as much as English. Not going to lie, I kind of wish I heard more English accents though.

   Tomorrow brings on Paris, France, where I am sure I will be made even more aware of my poor clothing choices as I go the fashion capital of the world.

   P.S. I wrote this earlier, but on our way to the train this morning our London taxi driver said people on bikes get hit by cars almost weekly in London. Guess they all aren't bike ninjas like I thought….. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment